The state Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) has a series of webinars to take place statewide to help answer questions from self-advocates and family members of people with disabilities. The first event will address individuals in the Western New York and Finger Lakes regions on May 26.
“We ask that each person take part in only one forum so that we can hear from as many people as possible,” officials said in a statement this month. “You may choose to provide spoken testimony at the event, submit written testimony or simply listen.”
OPWDD is expecting to address the following questions:
• How should OPWDD meet the growing demand for services throughout a person’s life to assure sustainability, equity and access?
• How can OPWDD include the values of diversity, equity and inclusion throughout the service system?
• How can the direct support and clinical workforce be strengthened to provide quality supports for the people we support?
• How can the OPWDD service system build and sustain a variety of housing supports?
• How can day and employment services better help people to achieve their life goals?
• How can the self-direction program better address the needs of the person and support family caregivers, as well as assure equity of access and sustainability of self-directed supports?
• How can technology be used to support a person’s life goals?
• How can OPWDD, working with other state agencies, best plan for and serve children and adults with complex needs?
• How can OPWDD best use telehealth to meet a person’s clinical needs?
• How can care coordination better support people with complex needs or enhance the skills of care managers?
• What research projects would assist in screening, evaluating, identifying and supporting people with developmental disabilities?
The Region 1 event will take place from 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday. A Region 2 event has been planned for June 2, followed by an event June 3, June 8 and June 9. Speakers must register in advance and limit their comments to three minutes. All webinars will be recorded and links to the recordings will be posted on OPWDD’s website after the events.
While the deadline to submit comments for the Region 1 event has passed, comments for the Region 2 event can be sent to Jessica Davis at [email protected] up to two days prior to the event. Written testimony can be submitted to [email protected]. More information is available at opwdd.ny.gov/strategic-planning.