After more than a year of protests and negotiations, adjunct faculty members at Nazareth College have ratified their first union contact with the college administration.
While the union would not provide an exact vote, representatives of Service Employees International Union Local 200United said members ratified the contract with only a single dissenting vote. The contact, once it’s formally signed by both sides, would go into effect immediately, providing retroactive pay to the beginning of this semester. The union said the contract covers some 370 adjunct faculty.
The new contract:
- Increases pay for most part-time, non-tenure-track faculty by about 50 percent, excepting those few already being paid at a higher rate.
- Allows for one-year and two-year contracts rather than single semester agreements.
- Gives adjunct faculty access to professional development funds.
- Includes adjuncts in college life, such as departmental meetings.
- Provides cancellation fees to the adjunct faculty member who has prepared for an upcoming course that ends up being canceled because of low registration.
“This agreement will alleviate the anxiety of adjuncts like myself who semester to semester have not been sure if we will have a contract to continue working at the college. Having longer contracts and better pay will allow us to plan for our futures and our families’ futures,” said Colleen Wolf, an adjunct music faculty member. By providing more stability for faculty, the agreement will result in better consistency and faculty availability for students, she added.
Nazareth College administration issued a statement that read: “The college values the experience and expertise that our adjunct faculty bring to the classroom and to our community every day. The agreement provides fair and competitive compensation for our part-time faculty. The agreement reflects our commitment to our adjunct faculty members as well as to ensuring the college remains fiscally responsible to our students and the future of the institution.”
[email protected]/(585) 363-7275