Located in the heart of Rochester’s Downtown Innovation Zone, the Center for Urban Entrepreneurship, or CUE, is a hub for urban entrepreneurial programs and research.
The CUE began offering programming in 2014, but it was a move into the historic building at 40 Franklin St., once home to Rochester Savings Bank, that brought its efforts into the heart of downtown.
Constructed in 1927, the building today is on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. It was acquired in 2011 by Rochester Historic Ventures — a group comprised of members of the Leenhouts, Tait and Tones families, as well as some of the Broadstone Real Estate management team — with the intention of returning it to public use. Rochester Historic Ventures then donated the building to RIT in 2012.
After taking ownership, RIT began making significant renovations to the building with a combination of federal, state and university funds. The university estimated that $2 million was spent just on renovating CUE’s offices, which include meeting rooms for clients, shared workspace and a multipurpose classroom. The 5,000-square-foot facility maintains its historic character with all hand-laid tile from floor to ceiling and also has wireless technology throughout.