“On the Edge”
Artist Virginia Wood’s works will be showcased in an exhibit titled “On the Edge” at the International Art Acquisitions gallery. A primarily abstract artist, Wood also explores painting landscapes and horses. Although many of her works appear to have a geometric pattern, Wood says these are unplanned. International Art Acquisitions displays a variety of styles from impressionism to abstract expressionism. “On the Edge” will be on display from Aug. 1 to 31. internationalartacquisitions.com
1. Rochester A-List and local blogger Sip and Savour Rochester are collaborating for an Outdoor Waffle and Craft Beer Pairing event on July 29 at the Genesee Brewhouse Beer Garden. Local chefs will compete to find the best waffle and craft beer combination. The winner, chosen by attendees, will receive a donation to The Fruit Belt Project. rochesteralist.com
2. The Rochester Public Market is offering more than just local produce this summer. Bands on the Bricks continues on July 28 with Something Else. This trio of guys forms a cover band committed to providing a unique experience for their audience at every show. cityofrochester.gov
3. Rochester Association of Performing Arts continues their performance of “The Wild Party: The Musical” on July 28, 29 and 30 at the Kodak Center Theatre-in-the-Round. In the play, couple Queenie and Burr decide to throw a huge party in their Manhattan apartment, but things turn sour when another man catches Queenie’s eye. Burr becomes infuriated, grabs his gun and pulls the trigger. See the play to figure out who has been shot. rapatheatre.org
4. The annual Spencerport Canal Days will be held on July 29 and 30. There will be hours of live music, a craft cabana for kids, local wines for adults, fireworks and more. Some of the featured bands include Rockhouse Riot, Feedback and Uptown Groove. spencerportcanaldays.com
5. The Rochester Academy of Science, Astronomy Section, will host the 20th annual RocheSTAR Fest from July 28 to 30. Throughout the weekend, ASRAS offers astronomy lectures, demonstrations and an opportunity to camp out at ASRAS campgrounds in Ionia, a hamlet in West Bloomfield, Ontario County. rochester.kidsoutandabout.com
Mystical evening at WAB
An enchanting event is coming to Writers & Books on July 29. A Night at Hogwarts invites children and adults alike to come and enjoy a Harry Potter-themed night to celebrate the birthday of “the chosen one.”
WAB encourages visitors to wear costumes and suit up in their best robes and cloaks. Come relish in the opportunity to walk through Platform 9 3/4, get sorted into a house, design a wand, play wizard chess and Quidditch, mix up potions, have your fortune told and more. In addition to all of these charming activities, visitors can also enjoy Harry Potter-themed food and drinks, including butterbeer. wab.org
Rebecca Lomuto and Cat Clay are in the midst of curating a new exhibit that’s sure to be out of this world. Presented by Pop Up ROC, “Live Now & Prosper” will be on display for one night at the Cat Clay studio in the Hungerford Building on East Main Street.
The art in this otherworldly exhibition emphasizes the extraterrestrial. Featuring 18 artists who “respond to the call for things that go bump in the dark,” “Live Now & Prosper” is sure to be a once-in-a-lifetime exhibit. Some artists whose works will be on display include Gretchen Arnold, Christine Meyer and Beckett Wood. The curators assure their audience, “The truth is out there. And we believe.”
The opening and closing party for “Live Now & Prosper” will be on Aug. 4 from 5 to 9 p.m.
The longest-running cultural festival in Monroe County returns this weekend. The Puerto Rican Festival Inc. began in 1969, and over the years Rochester has become home to the second largest population of Hispanics in New York.
At this year’s festival, there will be Hispanic art for sale, Hispanic food, a cultural pageant to crown the 2017 Miss Puerto Rico of Rochester, a 5K race, a fitness walk and dance performances. Visitors will also hear live music from K Rose, Las Voces Originales de Los Adolescentes, Trovador Wilfredo Gonzalez, Andy Montanez, Tono Rosario and Tito “El Bambino.”
The Puerto Rican Festival hosts other events throughout the year. On July 28, comedians Joey Vega and Eli Castro will perform at The German House. This event is for adults only. prfestival.com
This year marks the 44th annual Waterfront Art Festival in Webster. There will be a tastings tent with wine, beer and cider, live music from Inner Loop, Jimmy Highsmith, Tom Passamonte and Special Blend and Honky Tonk Hindooz and, of course, loads of artwork on display.
Vendors, including Norwegian Woodworks, S and I Signs and Laura’s Beaded Treasures, will present their artworks, ranging from jewelry to woodwork.
The festival is July 29 and 30 at North Ponds Park in Webster. waterfrontartfestival.com
(c) 2017 Rochester Business Journal. To obtain permission to reprint this article, call 585-363-7269 or email [email protected].