Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Home / Industry / Energy / ENEROC enters into agreement on LED project

ENEROC enters into agreement on LED project

Photo by Kerry Feltner

Photo by Kerry Feltner

ENEROC LLC—the inaugural business of the Market Driven Community Corp.—has entered into an agreement to be a subcontractor for an LED lighting installation project at Rochester General Hospital.

The Rochester-based startup business is the first launched by the Market Driven Community Corp., an independent non-profit focused on the development of worker-owned businesses within Rochester.

ENEROC launched in January 2017 and, over the coming weeks, the firm will hire and train an initial crew of three employees who will install LED lighting in parking garages at Rochester Regional Health.

“This project defines a new level of collaboration for our community,” said Mayor Lovely Warren. “This type of collaboration proves that the whole of our community is greater than the sum of its parts. Startups like ENEROC are vital components to help support the ongoing mission of the Rochester Monroe County Anti-Poverty Initiative to reduce poverty by 50 percent over the next 15 years.”

MDCC is a nonprofit that develops worker-owned businesses in Rochester alongside anchor institutions like Rochester Regional Health. It was launched in late 2016 and plans to retain a 10 percent stake in ENEROC. The remaining 90 percent will be transferred to its employees, according to officials.

The company is also working with a number of companies on the project. LED prime contractor Lumalon LLC has partnered with ENEROC and will be subcontracting and is assisting in training ENEROC employees. SunCommon NY and Go Green LED International are other organizations ENEROC is currently working with to grow the business.

The city of Rochester’s Office of Innovation oversaw the initial development of the now independent MDCC initiative beginning in 2015, with feasibility and implementation support from the Democracy Collaborative, a national nonprofit with expertise in worker-owned cooperatives and anchor institution partnerships.

Based on the model Democracy Collaborative helped develop in Cleveland, MDCC was launched in late 2016 and plans to retain a 10 percent stake in ENEROC with the remaining 90 percent ultimately transferring to its employees.

Doug Caswell—a 25-year veteran in manufacturing and engineering—has been hired as ENEROC’s business manager. The goal by the end of 2017 is to have 14 employees.

“Creating accessible jobs within our city strengthens our neighborhoods and provides greater opportunities for all its residents,” Warren said. “(MDCC) enhances this aim by launching cooperatives like ENEROC that empower our residents to eventually become worker-owners of a competitive business.”

For more on the Market Driven Community Corp., visit

Follow Kerry Feltner on Twitter: @KerryFeltner

Follow Andrea Deckert on Twitter: @andrea_deckert


(c) 2017 Rochester Business Journal. To obtain permission to reprint this article, call 585-363-7269 or e-mail [email protected]


Check Also

Wine barrels at Heron Hill winery in Hammondsport, where grapes go to become world-class wines. attribution: Photo courtesy of Heron Hill.

Heron Hill to toast 50 years of growing grapes at Ingle Vineyard (access required)

They essentially knew nothing about farming, let alone the particulars of growing grapes in a northeastern climate or the intricacies ...

Best Places to Work For DEI honorees announced (access required)

The Rochester Business Journal has announced the honorees for the inaugural Best Places to Work For DEI awards. This regional ...

Theresa Marsenburg

A Guest at the Table: You can’t get this in a soundbite (access required)

A Guest at the Table” is a regularly published column to highlight a particularly interesting, informative, or entertaining guest on ...

With U.S. markets down big, it might be time to think small (access required)

U.S. financial markets continued to be under pressure this month, with the S&P 500 Index (a proxy for large U.S. ...