Monroe County officials on Thursday announced the arrest of a county employee and 14 building trades workers for stealing wages from county coffers.
The arrests were made after an investigation of maintenance and construction workers uncovered alleged fraud and theft of taxpayer resources, officials said.
Alleged crimes include falsifying time cards and billing records at a cost of more than $100,000, officials said. The scope and amount of the thefts may grow as the investigation continues, they said.
â€œI am outraged at these individuals, who have violated the publicâ€™s trust by stealing from the taxpayers of our community,â€ County Executive Maggie Brooks said in a statement.
â€œWe will continue to work in full cooperation with our law enforcement partners in the sheriffâ€™s and district attorneyâ€™s offices to ensure that all involved in these crimes are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.â€
The alleged incidents were brought to the attention of county administrators, who referred the matter to the sheriffâ€™s office for investigation, officials said.
â€œWhile the investigation is ongoing and the extent of their crimes has not been fully determined, it is clear that the accused have violated the law,â€ Sheriff Patrick Oâ€™Flynn said in the statement
The county employee is listed in the felony complaint as Robert Morone, 52, of Gates. He is charged with stealing $3,706.20, the complaint states.
Morone and 13 others are charged with third-degree grand larceny, the complaint said. The 13 others, their ages, residences and the amounts involved, are listed as follows:
- Filippo Amati, 39, East Rochester, $7,633.88;
- Raymond Arnold, 47, Hilton, $13,185.43;
- Frank Costanza, 62, Conesus, $11,927.52;
- Robert Dâ€™Alessandro, 41, Rochester, $9,893.13;
- Nick Fridrik, 29, Webster, $7,111.60;
- David Gerken, 48, Palmyra, Wayne County, $7,688.87;
- Christopher Gorman, 52, Webster, $7,575.42;
- Frank Insalaco, 42, Chili, $3,245.54.
- Mike Lyons, 52, Hamlin, $8,240.02;
- Robert Palazzo, 41, Rochester, $4,354.90; and
- Mark Reynolds, 51, East Williamson, Wayne County, $6,627.10;
- Simeon Roumpapas, 47, Webster, $10.339.81;
- Jamie Speares, 42, Rochester, $9,463.69;
The 15th suspect, Joel Horowitz, is charged with fourth-degree grand larceny, the complaint reads. Horowitz, 61, of Hilton is accused of stealing $1,636.48.
(c) 2008 Rochester Business Journal. Obtain permission to
reprint this article.