- Warren seeks grant to renovate Cadillac Hotel into apartments
Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren is asking City Council to endorse a $500,000 grant request to the state from Rochester Economic Development Corp. to help with a plan to renovate the Cadillac Hotel downtown into market rate apartments.
- RIT forms partnership with University of Tokyo
Rochester Institute of Technology and the University of Tokyo have formed a new partnership. The two universities have signed a memorandum of understanding to facilitate the exchange of students and faculty, and to increase collaborative research activities.
- Three Heads Brewing breaks ground on new brewery
Three Heads Brewing Inc. has broken ground on a new brewery in the city after more than 14 months of planning.
- Greece again ranks No. 1 in teacher pay
With a median salary of $70,000, Greece again ranks No. 1 in teacher pay among the 27 public school districts in Monroe and Ontario counties. In superintendent compensation, East Irondequoit leads all other districts.
- School-tax burden heaviest in East Irondequoit
Property owners in East Irondequoit have the heaviest school-tax burden in Monroe and Ontario counties, according to an analysis of data from the state Department of Education that will appear in the 2015 Rochester Business Journal Schools Report Card to be published Friday.
- Videk inks agreement with Canon Japan
Perinton-based Videk Inc. has signed a distribution and sales agreement with Canon Japan, the local company announced Monday.
- RIT announces first endowed coaching position
Rochester Institute of Technology on Tuesday announced the Bruce B. Bates Women’s Hockey Coach endowment, its first endowed coaching position for Tiger athletic programs.
- Constellation Brands cuts 11 positions
Constellation Brands Inc. recently reduced its local workforce by 11 employees, but the Victor, Ontario County-based firm has more employees than it did last year.
- Dallas firm proposes its services to bus RSCD students
A Dallas-based busing company is proposing that the Rochester City School District use its services when school resumes in the fall.
- Nazareth launching program for nurses
Nazareth College has announced a faster and less expensive way for registered nurses to earn bachelor degrees, officials said.
- New York reports 300 percent growth in solar
The growth of solar in New York has increased more than 300 percent from 2011 to 2014, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said, which is twice the rate of U.S. solar growth overall.
- Grant to aid research on vision loss
A grant will help a scientist at the University of Rochester Medical Center study how neurodegenerative diseases, such as juvenile Batten disease, can rob people of their sight.
- West Elm to open this month at Culver Road Armory
Brooklyn-based West Elm, a furniture retailer, will open at the Culver Road Armory on July 23 at 10 a.m.
- Genesee Center for the Arts & Education gets new name
The Genesee Center for the Arts & Education has changed its name to the Rochester Arts Center, officials said Monday.
- Black Button gin wins industry kudos
Black Button Distilling’s Citrus Forward Gin has been named the “official gin of summer” by Food & Beverage Magazine, the company announced Monday.
Readers react to Supreme Court cases|
The majority of respondents to this week’s RBJ Daily Report Snap Poll agree with last week’s landmark U.S. Supreme Court decisions.
Why fewer homeowners?|
The trend of declining homeownership is not new, but the fact it has not abated with the strengthening economy is striking.
How to minimize the risk of religious-bias claims|
How can an employer prevent a claim of religious discrimination from an applicant who never even asked for a religion-based accommodation?
More From RBJ
- The dawn of a new era in Buffalo Sabres history occurred in a town named Sunrise.Check out this week's Seen page. You might see someone you know.
- In an effort to make the assessments more reliable, we've stepped over some invisible line.Hattie Bryant hosts Small Business School. Daily videos educate you on small business operations.
- See the best bets for things to do this week in Rochester. Plus, the complete Explore listings.Rick Woodson - 1940-2013. Learn about the life and career of RBJ's longtime, award-winning columnist.
- Stallings hit with three-month PGA Tour doping ban (7/7/2015 1:45:17 PM)
- Kasich not worried about being bumped by Trump from debate (7/7/2015 1:30:32 PM)
- State Dept.: Cuban detentions won't slow normalization (7/7/2015 1:28:09 PM)
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Charleston activists visiting Congress (7/7/2015 1:26:05 PM)
- Euro zone to ready Greek 'Plan B' if no deal Sunday: Austria's Faymann (7/7/2015 1:25:51 PM)
Get the most up-to-date data on the Rochester business community from the RBJ List Center. Download and purchase RBJ Lists and the complete Book of Lists in Excel format.
Learn More >