- Sands family gives $61 million
to Community Foundation
The Sands family is making a $61 million investment in the Rochester area. Brothers Richard and Robert Sands, along with their mother Mickey, have made the largest gift in the 44-year history of the Rochester Area Community Foundation to create the Sands Family Supporting Foundation at the Community Foundation.
- Final defendant pleads guilty in LDC case
After pleading guilty in Monroe County Court on Tuesday to grand larceny and bid rigging, businessman Daniel Lynch is expected to draw a two and one-third to seven-year prison term and pay $600,000 in fines and restitution.
- Genesee & Wyoming reports drop in Q4 earnings
A strong U.S. dollar, a collapse in commodities prices and a shift from coal to natural gas negatively affected Genesee & Wyoming Inc.’s fourth-quarter earnings, the company reported Tuesday.
- German firm to acquire Retrotech in $40 million deal
Retrotech Inc. will be acquired by the German-based KION Group AG in a $40 million deal that is expected to close in the first quarter, officials said Monday.
- Four initiatives at RIT to get $1 million each
Rochester Institute of Technology announced Monday it has chosen four strategic initiatives to receive $1 million each to invest in research.
- New scholarship program offered at UR
The University of Rochester’s Warner School of Education announced a new scholarship program Monday.
- Funding available for fleet upgrades
The Federal Highway Administration has made up to $1 million available for area communities to make their vehicle fleets more environmentally sound, Genesee Region Clean Communities Inc. announced.
- Visit Rochester gets industry honor
Visit Rochester, the official tourism promotion agency for Monroe County, has been honored by the meeting industry.
Readers weigh in on Xerox split|
The majority of respondents to this week’s RBJ Daily Report Snap Poll say Xerox Corp.’s plan to split into two public companies is a positive for shareholders but a negative for Rochester-area employees.
Startups on the rise|
There has been a notable increase in fledgling businesses.
Cheap oil will not help us anytime soon|
We may just need to hunker down and accept short-term instability in both the energy sector and in financial markets.
More From RBJ
- Shortly after Jason McElwain inspired the world, he formed a special bond with Peyton Manning.Check out this week's Seen page. You might see someone you know.
- Terrorism is real and frightening, yet we can control our response to events and must not overreact.Hattie Bryant hosts Small Business School. Daily videos educate you on small business operations.
- See the best bets for things to do this week in Rochester. Plus, the complete Explore listings.Rick Woodson - 1940-2013. Learn about the life and career of RBJ's longtime, award-winning columnist.
- Griffin suspended four games for punch (2/9/2016 1:21:31 PM)
- Nuns who help homeless face eviction in costly San Francisco (2/9/2016 1:13:59 PM)
- Judge's error could set man free without trial for murder (2/9/2016 1:11:11 PM)
- Record 98 shark attacks worldwide in 2015 (2/9/2016 12:52:15 PM)
- Ferguson City Council expected to vote on DOJ agreement (2/9/2016 12:40:41 PM)
Get the most up-to-date data on the Rochester business community from the RBJ List Center. Download and purchase RBJ Lists and the complete Book of Lists in Excel format.
Learn More >