The Rochester Business Journal is an enriching environment filled with professionals working toward the common goal of producing the best business news coverage in the area. For more than two decades, the Rochester Business Journal has served as the leading source of business news and information in Rochester, N.Y. More than 70,000 influential executives respect and trust the Rochester Business Journal for their news.
Since it began in October 1987, the Rochester Business Journal has been honored on numerous occasions for its editorial content. Twice it received the General Excellence Award from the Association of Area Business Publications, the leading association of local and regional business newspapers and magazines in the United States and Canada. See a roundup of awards.
The Rochester Business Journal employs qualified candidates as reporters, advertising sales executives, graphic artists, circulation specialists and administration assistants. The Rochester Business Journal is an equal-opportunity employer encouraging applications from women and members of minorities. The Rochester Business Journal does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin or disability.
Rochester Business Journal is seeking qualified candidates to fill a full-time accounting/office manager position.
This position will provide the ideal candidate with a diverse and challenging work environment.
Essential functions of this job by definition are those duties and responsibilities that the individual can perform, with or without reasonable accommodations. The responsibilities for this position include:
- Monthly financial statement preparation, including balance sheet and income statement, with associated bank and account reconciliations
- Accounts payable
- Accounts receivable collection
- Daily banking deposit
- Tax reporting including preparation of 1099s and quarterly NYS sales tax
- New credit extension reference follow up and approval
- Human resources (benefits, vacation, personnel file maintenance)
- Coordination of office equipment maintenance and needs
- Coordination of IT maintenance
- Interface with building maintenance personnel
- Support of the president in other financial areas, as needed
- Be flexible to support the team's outside functions, as needed
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- AAS in Accounting
- Strong intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- 3+ years of accounting/bookkeeping experience
- Collections experience
- Human resource experience
- Experience with Great Plains financial software preferred
- Possess professional communication skills
Please submit cover letter, along with 3 professional references to whom you have reported, and your recent salary history, to the attention of firstname.lastname@example.org
In your cover letter, share how your background and experience makes you well suited for this role using the essential functions of this job along with a brief narrative describing your level of expertise supporting each area.
We always are looking for qualified college students to work as interns alongside our award-winning professionals. Interns will be involved with various projects for Rochester Business Journal weekly print edition, rbjdaily.com, special sections and supplements. Internships are available in these departments:
Circulation and Advertising
Production (graphic design)
Our ideal intern is a team player who possesses excellent communication and organizational skill, and who works well in team environments and under deadlines.
Editorial, sales and marketing interns should be proficient in Microsoft Office applications and be internet savvy. Graphic design interns should have knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite including Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat and InDesign.
Interested candidates should submit cover letter and resume to:
Editorial Department: Lisa Granite email@example.com
Production Department: Ed Fowler firstname.lastname@example.org
Circulation and Advertising: Chad Taggart email@example.com