- Region's unemployment rate drops
A drop in the unemployment rate and a rise in the number of jobs have the Rochester area economy looking good the last several months.
- Harris gives early look at Q3 results
Harris Corp. announced Tuesday preliminary fiscal third-quarter financial results, in order to expand timing options for completing the permanent debt financing for its pending acquisition of Exelis Inc.
- Gannett tops profit expectations, misses on revenue
Gannett Co. Inc. on Tuesday reported $112.8 million in first-quarter net income, excluding special items, a 4 percent increase from a year ago.
- ConServe exec wins HR Executive of the Year Award
The Rochester affiliate of the National Human Resources Association on Tuesday named George Huyler the 2015 HR Executive of the Year Winner and Outstanding Strategic Leadership Award Winner. The second annual luncheon was held at Monroe Golf Club in Pittsford.
- $1 million gift to transform UR Library
Evans and Susanna Lam have committed $1 million to the River Campus Libraries to establish the Evans and Susanna Lam Library Revitalization Fund. The fund will support the modernization of the patron services area in Rush Rhees Library, which will be named Evans Lam Square.
- State site lists record number of available jobs
A record number of available jobs have been posted on the New York State Jobs Express website, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced this week.
- Debut performance set for Lyric Theatre
The Rochester Lyric Opera Inc. is holding its first performance at the newly announced Lyric Theatre on Friday. The concert will be a benefit to help raise funds for the new venue, organizers said.
- Rochester ranks high for budgeting prowess
Rochesterians know how to budget, a new report from WalletHub shows.
- M&T profit rises, misses expectations
M&T Bank Corp., the deposit leader in the Rochester market, saw its net income and total revenue grow in the first quarter, but failed to meet analysts’ expectations.
- RF Communications gets $74 million in orders
Harris Corp.’s Rochester-based RF Communications has received $74 million in orders from an undisclosed international customer to deliver tactical radios as the next phase of the country’s tactical communications modernization program.
- Xerox wins $565 million Medicaid contract
Xerox Corp. will work with New York to update its Medicaid claims processing system, a move that will help manage expanding Medicaid rolls, the company said Monday.
- Report shows N.Y. small-business owners upbeat
Small-business owners in New York have a positive outlook for business prospects over the next six months, but hiring plans are down, a new report from American Express Open shows.
- Daily Messenger to launch Saturday paper
The Daily Messenger newspaper based in Canandaigua will launch a Saturday paper next month, but eliminate its Monday offering.
- Report ranks N.Y. as third-most eco-friendly state
New York ranks as one of the most eco-friendly states, a new report from WalletHub shows.
- Q1 net income grows at parent of Northwest Savings Bank
Northwest Bancshares Inc., parent of Northwest Savings Bank in the Rochester market, grew its net income by nearly 11 percent in the first quarter. The growth, bank officials said, came through strong loan growth and improvement in asset quality.
Most say personal income taxes too high|
Two-thirds of respondents to this week’s RBJ Daily Report Snap Poll say in terms of fairness, the amount of federal income tax they personally pay is too high. Just 3 percent say they believe they’re paying too little in federal income tax, and 31 percent say the portion they pay is about right.
A higher hurdle|
Everyone knows the tax code needs to be fixed. But how? That’s the vexing question.
Ridesharing is what Rochester residents need|
Lyft gives people who need flexible work hours a chance to make a little extra money and get to know our neighbors at the same time.
More From RBJ
- Check out this week's Seen page. You might recognize someone ... maybe yourself!The governor and New York's teachers union go nuclear.
- Former Mayor Johnson recalls Jackie Robinson's impact.Hattie Bryant hosts Small Business School. Daily videos educate you on small business operations.
- See the best bets for things to do this week in Rochester. Plus, the complete Explore listings.Rick Woodson - 1940-2013. Learn about the life and career of RBJ's longtime, award-winning columnist.
- UK speed trader arrested over role in 2010 'flash crash' (4/21/2015 5:26:37 PM)
- UK trader sought in U.S. over flash crash due in court on Wednesday (4/21/2015 5:26:37 PM)
- How Sarao 'spoofed, layered' his way to $1-mln flash crash gain (4/21/2015 5:26:37 PM)
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw vs. MadBum, Kluber-Smaradzija (4/21/2015 5:25:42 PM)
- Senate may face contentious debate on Iran nuclear bill (4/21/2015 5:24:09 PM)
Get the most up-to-date data on the Rochester business community from the RBJ List Center. Download and purchase RBJ Lists and the complete Book of Lists in Excel format.
Learn More >