- Rochester area posts job growth in January
The Rochester metro area continued to show improvement in January, with an increase in both non-farm and private-sector jobs, the state Department of Labor reported Thursday.
- Total compensation rises for M&T executives
M&T Bank Corp. chairman and CEO Robert Wilmers received a base salary of $950,000 in 2013 and total compensation of nearly $3.7 million, including bonuses and stock awards, a filing on Thursday shows.
- Van Dusen, Fischer rank among top advisers
Wealth management advisers Lori Van Dusen of Pittsford and Marc Fischer of Irondequoit are among Barron’s top 1,200 financial advisers state-by-state for 2014.
- Bills to use variable pricing for home games
The Buffalo Bills will base ticket prices for home games this season on the attractiveness of their opponent, with season tickets from $260 to $3,100, the National Football League team announced Thursday.
- EarthLink Holdings ranks No. 1 on global list
EarthLink Holdings Corp., for the second year, has earned the top ranking on the MSPmentor 501 Global Edition list that identifies the world’s top 501 managed service providers.
- COMIDA discontinues tax breaks for eBaum Webster Ventures
The County of Monroe Industrial Development Agency has discontinued tax breaks for eBaum Webster Ventures LLC, COMIDA officials said Wednesday.
- RIT to launch Wegmans School of Health and Nutrition
Rochester Institute of Technology has announced plans to launch a new school of health and nutrition with a $6 million gift from the Wegman Family Charitable Foundation.
- Upstate consumer confidence hits 7-month high
Confidence among upstate consumers climbed for the fourth consecutive month in February, reaching its highest point since July 2013, a monthly survey by the Siena Research Institute shows.
- FNFG unveils $500,000 microloan fund for small businesses
Small businesses in Rochester that do not qualify for conventional funding can get up to $25,000 through a microloan fund launched Wednesday by First Niagara Financial Group Inc.
- Bills postpone 2014 regular season game in Toronto
The Buffalo Bills and Rogers Media Inc. are taking a sabbatical from their annual National Football League game in Toronto to re-evaluate the series, officials announced Wednesday.
- Senate confirms Gearan as state gaming commission chair
Mark Gearan, president of Hobart and William Smith Colleges, has been confirmed as chairman of the New York State Gaming Commission.
Readers back possible GOP challengers|
In this year’s race for New York governor, respondents to this week’s RBJ Daily Report Snap Poll favored Republicans Donald Trump and Rob Astorino over incumbent Democrat Andrew Cuomo. In a matchup between Cuomo and 2010 GOP gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino, however, Cuomo came out on top.
SAFE Act bad for business and N.Y.|
Regardless of one’s opinion of the SAFE Act, all New Yorkers should be very concerned about how this law was written and passed in the dead of the night.
The renters' burden|
Rent affordability affects not only low-income urban households but also recent college graduates at first jobs.
More From RBJ
- Check out this week's Seen page. You might recognize someone ... maybe yourself!Jackie Robinson led the way for Nets center Jason Collins by taking a baseball bat to bigotry.
- Economists have long toiled to design benefit programs that reduce the disincentive to work. It's not easy to do.Hattie Bryant hosts Small Business School. Daily videos educate you on small business operations.
- See the best bets for things to do this week in Rochester. Plus, the complete Explore listings.Rick Woodson - 1940-2013. Learn about the life and career of RBJ's longtime, award-winning columnist.
New York State Headlines
- Remote Medicine Tests Physician Licensing Rules
- Medicaid Expansion Spurs States to Fight Fraud, Overpayments
- Cuomo vows to defend charter schools, setting up another battle with de Blasio
- Drone test site secures half its startup funding with state grant
- By spending more on fuel aid, two states avoid food stamp cuts
- Obama to promote education agenda at Miami school (3/7/2014 12:22:13 AM)
- Cold War past shapes complex Merkel-Putin relationship (3/7/2014 12:16:17 AM)
- Ukraine oligarchs get key posts in bid for unity (3/7/2014 12:12:11 AM)
- Religious conservatives facing off at conference (3/7/2014 12:03:32 AM)
- Pakistan may launch military operation in March: defense minister (3/7/2014 12:00:26 AM)