- City weighs plan to house immigrant children at Blossom South
City officials are weighing a proposal to house up to 172 undocumented immigrant children in the former Blossom South Nursing and Rehabilitation Center building on Monroe Avenue.
- Among privately held employers here, Wegmans ranks No. 1
Wegmans Food Markets is the largest employer among privately held companies in the six-county Rochester region, according to the RBJ 75 special supplement to be published Friday. But who are the rest of the top five?
- Region's unemployment rate declines in June
The Rochester metro area economy continued its upward momentum in June, with an increase in jobs and a decrease in the unemployment rate, the state Department of Labor reported Tuesday.
- Geva inks lease deal for housing near theater
Geva Theatre Center has signed a 10-year lease on space at 1 Woodbury Blvd., which officials say will be used to house the theater’s actors and artists.
- RF Communications receives $15 million order
Harris Corp.’s Rochester-based RF Communications division received a $15 million order to deliver its latest wideband handheld tactical radio to an undisclosed country in the Middle East.
- Weather ranking puts Rochester near bottom
Rochester ranks among the worst cities nationwide for its weather, a new report from WalletHub shows.
- Valeant files complaints with U.S., Canadian regulators against Allergan
Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc. has lodged complaints with U.S. and Canadian regulators to take Allergan Inc. to task for claiming Valeant vastly is overstating Bausch & Lomb’s sales performance, Valeant officials said Monday.
- Xerox names chief marketing officer
Xerox Corp. said Monday it has named John Kennedy as chief marketing officer and vice president, effective July 28. Kennedy, who will be based at Xerox’s Connecticut headquarters, previously worked for IBM Corp.
- $250M contract with URMC prompts firm's move
Medline Industries Inc.’s plans to put a distribution center in Brockport stem from a contract it inked with the University of Rochester Medical Center, Medline officials said Monday.
- Q2 net income declines for Northwest Bancshares
Second-quarter profit at Northwest Bancshares Inc. fell 6 percent, the result of deterioration in several commercial credits, with earnings per share falling 2 cents short of Wall Street estimates.
- N.Y. proposes framework for virtual currency
A regulatory framework has been proposed for New York’s virtual currency businesses to protect consumers, and to prevent money laundering and breeches to cyber security, officials announced last week.
Redskins name should stick, most say|
More than three-quarters of RBJ Daily Report Snap Poll respondents oppose the federal decision to cancel trademark protection for the Washington Redskins. Slightly fewer respondents—71 percent—say franchise owner Daniel Snyder should not change the team’s name.
Getting more loans to underserved entrepreneurs|
As we make SBA loans easier and more affordable, more lenders will join our program, more small businesses will have access to our lending products, and more entrepreneurs will succeed.
A needed review|
It seems hard to argue with his statement that the current laws governing the activities of certain authorities "are in need of review and reform."
More From RBJ
- Check out this week's Seen page. You might recognize someone ... maybe yourself!Can the decision to refuse vaccination be truly "personal"?
- Kelly's finest hours have come during his most trying times.Hattie Bryant hosts Small Business School. Daily videos educate you on small business operations.
- See the best bets for things to do this week in Rochester. Plus, the complete Explore listings.Rick Woodson - 1940-2013. Learn about the life and career of RBJ's longtime, award-winning columnist.
New York State Headlines
This feed is currently not available.
- Apple revenue lags Street view despite strong China growth (7/22/2014 1:07:52 PM)
- Georgia man pleads guilty to faking allergy tests (7/22/2014 1:06:46 PM)
- At least 21 dead in Iraq checkpoint car bombing (7/22/2014 1:06:22 PM)
- US officials: Intel suggests Malaysia plane shot down by separatists, no link to Russia found (7/22/2014 1:04:25 PM)
- Battered by election, Indonesia's new president faces party clash (7/22/2014 1:03:26 PM)