- Oak Hill CC names successor to Craig Harmon
Oak Hill Country Club has named a new head golf professional, replacing Craig Harmon, who is retiring after 42 years in that role, officials announced Thursday.
- I-Square development among big winners for funding
The I-Square development in Irondequoit is getting more than $2.3 million in funding as one of several projects getting seven-figure awards through the Finger Lakes Regional Economic Development Council.
- Teamsters Local elect new leaders
In what the newly elected slate hopes will end some two years of internal strife, International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 118 members have chosen new leaders.
- ROC the Day raises $780,574
The third annual ROC the Day fundraiser ended with more than 600 local non-profit groups raising a collective $780,574 in an online drive.
- Indoor trampoline park opens in Greece
Sky Zone LLC Indoor Trampoline Park plans its grand opening for its Rochester-area location from 3 to 8 p.m. Friday.
- First-time robotics event takes place Saturday
The For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology Robotics program is holding a FIRST Tech Challenge competition at St. John Fisher College on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Finger Lakes region gets $59.8 million economic development award
The Finger Lakes Regional Economic Development Council was awarded $59.8 million Wednesday during a presentation in Albany, the third-lowest funding total given to 10 councils statewide.
- URMC, Jones Memorial expand collaboration
The University of Rochester Medical Center and Jones Memorial Hospital this month expanded a collaboration begun last year, adding new services at Jones Memorial, URMC and Jones Memorial officials said.
- Ex-VirtualScopics CEO Markin takes COO role at Bio-Optronics
Bio-Optronics Inc. has hired former VirtualScopics Inc. CEO Jeffrey Markin. The health care software provider said Markin will serve as vice president and chief operations officer effective immediately.
- Angel Network to invest $2.3 million in area businesses
The Rochester Angel Network has completed funding of its new Rochester Angel Fund, totaling $2.3 million from 67 members of the 75-member network. The money will be invested in Rochester businesses.
- Frontier gets FCC funding to invest in broadband network
Frontier Communications Corp. Wednesday said it will invest $7.9 million in its broadband network in New York State—dollars allotted from the Federal Communication Commission’s Connect America Fund.
- Home Properties communities honored in N.J.
Home Properties Inc. announced Wednesday its New Jersey communities have been recognized with a total of 11 awards—seven at the property level and four in individual categories—at the 20th annual Garden State Awards program presented by the New Jersey Apartment Association.
- Greater Rochester Quality Council awards area firms
ConServe, Exelis Geospatial Systems and Unity Hospital led the way in the 2013 Greater Rochester Quality Council Performance Excellence Awards.
Majority: Firms can't refuse to follow law|
Businesses should not have the right to refuse to comply with federal law based on the owners’ religious beliefs.
Finding joy in someone else's misery can be tricky|
Any reform plan that truly targets what ails the U.S. health system will be disruptive.
In Congress' court|
Congress can--and should--resolve the issue of interstate sales tax collection for Web sales.
More From RBJ
- Red Wings GM Dan Mason hopes the Frozen Frontier will be a sports spectacle.Hattie Bryant hosts Small Business School. Daily videos educate you on small business operations.
- Check out this week's Seen page. You might recognize someone.Does the ACA's tax on medical devices make any sense?
- See the best bets for things to do this week in Rochester. Plus, the complete Explore listings.Rick Woodson - 1940-2013. Learn about the life and career of RBJ's longtime, award-winning columnist.
New York State Headlines
- Machinists await Boeing response on contract (12/12/2013 11:28:05 AM)
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral (12/12/2013 11:27:32 AM)
- House weighs comprehensive defense bill (12/12/2013 11:27:07 AM)
- Consumers' big purchases lift hopes for US economy (12/12/2013 11:21:43 AM)
- Ex-cop's acquittal brings stirs Katrina memories (12/12/2013 11:19:00 AM)