- Corneal surgeon pledges $4M for URMC professorships
James Aquavella M.D. has pledged $4 million to support two University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry endowed professorships, officials said Thursday.
- Cancer Wellness Connections receives Berman award
Cancer Wellness Connections and its co-founders, Eileen Grossman, Cynthia Angel M.D. and Brent DuBeshter M.D., are winners of the 2013 Howard J. Berman Prize.
- Schumer calls for extension of railroad tax credit
Food-packaging manufacturer Pactiv Corp. in Canandaigua and operators of more than 5,600 freight railroad cars would benefit if an expiring tax credit is extended, Sen. Charles Schumer said Thursday.
- RRCDC awards grants to organizations
The Rochester Regional Community Design Center has announced $20,000 in grants to three organizations in Rochester through its Development/Design Fund Program.
- Upstate consumer sentiment rebounds in November
Confidence among upstate consumers rebounded in November but continued to trail both statewide and nationwide confidence, a monthly survey by the Siena Research Institute shows.
- Unity Health System nursing home to get $5.8M upgrade
State officials have green-lighted a $5.8 million upgrade to Unity Health System’s Edna Tina Wilson Living Center, Unity officials said.
- UR, Eastman House to offer master's in photographic preservation
The University of Rochester and George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film will offer a joint master's degree in photographic preservation and collections management beginning in fall 2014, the first of its kind in the nation.
- Richards' supporters collected $83,600 before election
The Monroe County chapter of the Independence Party scrambled to collect $83,600 in individual and corporate campaign contributions for Rochester Mayor Thomas Richards after his defeat in the Democratic Party primary, state filings this week show.
- Wolk Foundation gives MCC $375,000 for nursing scholarship
Monroe Community College student nurses will have new support with a $375,000 gift from the Louis S. and Molly B. Wolk Foundation.
- Think tanks recommend income-tax adjustments
An immediate phase-out of the temporary increase in the personal income tax of high-income earners and making permanent the temporary income-tax cuts for the middle class are among five measures that would improve New York’s business climate, two independent think tanks say.
Majority: Firms can't refuse to follow law|
Businesses should not have the right to refuse to comply with federal law based on the owners’ religious beliefs.
Finding joy in someone else's misery can be tricky|
Any reform plan that truly targets what ails the U.S. health system will be disruptive.
In Congress' court|
Congress can--and should--resolve the issue of interstate sales tax collection for Web sales.
More From RBJ
- Red Wings GM Dan Mason hopes the Frozen Frontier will be a sports spectacle.Hattie Bryant hosts Small Business School. Daily videos educate you on small business operations.
- Check out this week's Seen page. You might recognize someone.Does the ACA's tax on medical devices make any sense?
- See the best bets for things to do this week in Rochester. Plus, the complete Explore listings.Rick Woodson - 1940-2013. Learn about the life and career of RBJ's longtime, award-winning columnist.
New York State Headlines
- Court: Alleged Auschwitz guard unfit for trial (12/6/2013 6:01:13 AM)
- For wind power, US extends permit for eagle deaths (12/6/2013 6:00:00 AM)
- Could it be the year newcomers dominate Grammys? (12/6/2013 5:56:55 AM)
- US stocks open higher on strong jobs report (12/6/2013 5:53:26 AM)
- US stocks surge on upbeat jobs report (12/6/2013 5:39:11 AM)