- Ultralife posts loss for third quarter
Ultralife Corp. on Thursday reported a drop in third-quarter sales as well as a net loss, due in part to sluggish government tactical communications spending.
- Sales rise at Garlock while operating profits fall
Third-quarter sales at Garlock Sealing Technologies LLC and its subsidiaries grew 4 percent chiefly because of higher sales from subsidiaries in Canada, Japan and Australia.
- Manning & Napier posts rise in economic net income
Manning & Napier Inc. reported a slight increase in third-quarter economic net income, with earnings per share in line with Wall Street estimates.
- Strike could shut down traffic on St. Lawrence Seaway
The St. Lawrence Seaway’s 460 union workers plan to strike Friday over proposed changes in its operating system, and seaway management is prepared to close the waterway to all traffic if that happens, representatives said.
- Black Button Distilling expands distribution to NYC
Rochester’s Black Button Distilling will be distributed in New York City and is negotiating distribution rights for other states, the company said.
- RF Communications receives $18 million order
Harris Corp.’s RF Communications has received an $18 million order from an undisclosed nation in Central Asia for its wideband tactical radios.
- Downtown innovation zone among topics at event
New initiatives designed to solve community problems and the launch of a downtown innovation zone have been added to the agenda for Tuesday’s State of Rochester’s Economy presentation.
- N.Y. comes in nearly last on State Business Tax Climate Index
New York maintained last year’s position on the Tax Foundation’s 2015 State Business Tax Climate index.
- Graham reports surge in net income, sales in Q2
Graham Corp. Wednesday posted an increase in second-quarter profit and sales, driven by orders in the domestic petrochemical market, as well as higher sales to oil refining markets in South America and the Middle East.
- URMC team gets $6.1 million from NIH for lung research
A University of Rochester Medical Center research team is in line for a $6.1 million grant to fund its part of five-year project to produce a birth-to-death model of human lung functioning.
- Rochester area gas prices higher than most of nation
Gas prices averaged less than $3 a gallon in more than half the states across the country this week, and drivers in 47 states can find gas below the $3 level, data from GasBuddy.com shows. But not in Rochester, where pump prices averaged $3.40 a gallon on Monday.
- Mengel, Metzger Barr acquires Canandaigua CPA firm
Mengel, Metzger Barr & Co. LLP has acquired Canandaigua CPA firm Barone, Siciliano & Co. CPAs P.C., officials said.
- HNP Capital adds partner
Joseph Rulison has joined HNP Capital LLC as an equity partner and will focus on the firm’s family office and private wealth divisions, representatives announced Wednesday.
- Boston's to expand chain in Rochester
Boston’s Restaurant and Sports Bar has selected Rochester among the sites for its new expansion plan, which includes bringing multiple restaurants—and roughly 30 to 50 jobs per location—to the area by 2019.
Most readers oppose Proposal Three|
Nearly 80 percent of RBJ Daily Report Snap Poll respondents this week oppose Proposal Three, the Smart Schools Bond Act of 2014.
Non-profits: Recruit next-generation volunteers|
It’s no secret that many non-profits continue to struggle with underfunding and an overall lack of resources.
Not so smart|
Prudent investment in technology for schools is not the issue. It’s the inappropriate and unwise use of long-term borrowing for this purpose.
More From RBJ
- The Bills appear to be on the upswing, moving in the right direction.Translating the Common Core into tests fuels criticism.
- Check out this week's Seen page. You might recognize someone ... maybe yourself!Hattie Bryant hosts Small Business School. Daily videos educate you on small business operations.
- See the best bets for things to do this week in Rochester. Plus, the complete Explore listings.Rick Woodson - 1940-2013. Learn about the life and career of RBJ's longtime, award-winning columnist.
New York State Headlines
This feed is currently not available.
- Niger says insurgents kill nine members of security forces (10/30/2014 10:37:15 PM)
- Fighting likely to surge in South Sudan as rainy season ends - report (10/30/2014 10:36:10 PM)
- AP Interview: Dissident forced to leave Vietnam (10/30/2014 10:14:00 PM)
- Hong Kong protesters: Images of determination (10/30/2014 9:58:55 PM)
- Illinois Dems dig deep to keep governor's office (10/30/2014 9:54:01 PM)