The Rochester metro area economy soared in December, with an increase in jobs and a steep decline in the unemployment rate, the state Department of Labor reported.
The jobless rate in Rochester was 6.1 percent last month, compared with 8 percent a year ago. It was down from with 6.3 percent in November. The metropolitan area includes Monroe, Livingston, Ontario, Orleans and Wayne counties. Genesee County is considered a micropolitan area.
Data in the report are not seasonally adjusted. The most valid comparison with this type of data are year-to-year comparisons of the same month, the Labor Department has noted.
The number of unemployed in Rochester in December was 31,500, down from 41,500 a year ago and 32,800 in November. Some 484,300 people were employed here last month, compared with 478,900 a year ago and 487,500 in November.
Last week the Department of Labor reported Rochester gained 3,700 non-farm jobs and 3,800 private-sector jobs since December 2012, not seasonally adjusted. Rochester ranked fifth among upstate metro area in terms of non-farm job growth percentage.
Area unemployment rates in December, not seasonally adjusted, were:
- Monroe County—6 percent, down from 7.7 percent a year ago and 6.3 percent in November;
- Genesee County—6.1 percent, down from 8.2 percent in December 2012 and unchanged from November;
- Livingston County—6.3 percent, down from 8.5 percent a year ago and 6.4 percent in November;
- Ontario County—5.8 percent, down from 7.5 percent a year ago but up from 5.7 percent in November;
- Orleans County—8.4 percent, compared with 10.9 percent in December 2012 and 8.5 percent in November; and
- Wayne County—6.4 percent, down from 8.9 percent a year ago, and up from 6.3 percent in November.
Statewide, the unemployment rate was 6.6 percent in December, down from 8.2 percent a year ago and 6.9 percent in November. Some 628,700 people were unemployed in New York last month, not seasonally adjusted, compared with 788,300 in December 2012 and 665,200 in November.
The jobless rate in Buffalo last month was 6.5 percent down from 8.4 percent a year ago and 6.6 percent in November. The Syracuse area unemployment rate was 6.5 percent in December, compared with 8.5 percent a year ago and 6.6 percent in November.
(c) 2013 Rochester Business Journal. To obtain permission to reprint this article, call 585-546-8303 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.