- Vargas files claim against school board over firing powers
Rochester City School District Superintendent Bolgen Vargas is taking legal action against the district’s board of education after the board voted to strip some firing powers.
- Torvec reports net loss, to focus on WAM Watch
Torvec Inc. continued to report losses in revenue and earnings in 2014 and has narrowed its development focus to two products, documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission show.
- ClearCove, Precision Optical join START-UP NY
Rochester Institute of Technology and SUNY College at Brockport will sponsor a pair of businesses that will participate in the Start-Up NY program.
- Cuomo visits Rochester to promote minimum raise hike
Gov. Andrew Cuomo rallied in Rochester Wednesday with labor and community leaders for support of his proposal to raise the minimum wage.
- Cornell Cooperative Extension names new interim leader
Cornell Cooperative Extension of Monroe County has announced a change in leadership.
- Poll: 9 out of 10 NYers use cell phones
Over a quarter of Upstate New York homes no longer have landlines, and 90 percent of New Yorkers are now using cell-phones, a Siena Research Institute poll released today shows.
- Thomson Reuters enters agreement regarding same-sex benefits
Thomson Reuters Corp. has agreed to change the way it calculates taxes owed by employees married to same-sex partners.
- Report touts benefits of working from home
Workers in New York State could save nearly $12,000 a year by working from home, a new report from WalletHub shows.
- Frontier selects new CEO; Wilderotter to serve as executive chairman
Frontier Communications Corp. will have a new CEO effective April 3. The telecommunications company announced Tuesday Daniel McCarthy will become CEO next month, replacing Maggie Wilderotter.
- Work on schedule for new MCC campus; $6M in new funding
Leaders in the development of Monroe Community College’s new downtown campus shared development progress Tuesday, announcing $6 million in additional finding and releasing designs for what they call a transformative campus serving students, employers and the community.
- Schumer pushes for federal funds for harbor dredging
Sen. Charles Schumer said Tuesday he is pushing federal officials to provide $2.32 million for dredging of the Port of Rochester’s harbor.
- Pactech Packaging receiving industry honor
Ogden-based Pactech Packaging LLC is being honored this week by the Flexible Packaging Association for a product the firm co-developed.
- Victor Chamber to honor 3 'Women of Excellence'
The Victor Chamber of Commerce will honor three women for their contributions at the fourth annual “Women of Excellence” awards dinner this month.
Snap Poll: Most oppose free community college|
Saying Americans need more knowledge and skills to meet the demands of a growing global economy without piling up decades of debt, President Barack Obama has proposed bringing the cost of two years of community college “down to zero.” A majority of respondents to this week’s RBJ Daily Report Snap Poll are not sold on the idea, though.
When profits, financial aid mix in higher ed|
It is very likely that students lose from large tuition premiums charged by for-profit institutions.
In the zone|
Many economic development strategies rely on special funding and tax breaks; by contrast, the Rochester Downtown Innovation Zone is an idea and an attitude, which together could prove to be a powerful magnet.
More From RBJ
- Check out this week's Seen page. You might recognize someone ... maybe yourself!The Yankees have made a mockery of jersey retirements.
- While voters may disapprove of "Obamacare," it's a good bet that they'll want their subsidies to continue.Hattie Bryant hosts Small Business School. Daily videos educate you on small business operations.
- See the best bets for things to do this week in Rochester. Plus, the complete Explore listings.Rick Woodson - 1940-2013. Learn about the life and career of RBJ's longtime, award-winning columnist.
- Angola's Dos Santos shifts focus in Portugal from telecoms to banks (3/4/2015 10:58:16 PM)
- South African fires disrupt world's largest cycle race (3/4/2015 10:51:27 PM)
- Westbrook explodes for fourth straight triple double (3/4/2015 10:51:16 PM)
- Coach's adopted toddler builds a life with hoops team (3/4/2015 10:47:33 PM)
- German factory orders down more than expected in January (3/4/2015 10:46:15 PM)
Get the most up-to-date data on the Rochester business community from the RBJ List Center. Download and purchase RBJ Lists and the complete Book of Lists in Excel format.
Learn More >