- Suburban poverty levels spike
The number of people living in poverty in Rochester’s suburban communities has climbed sharply since 2000, a new report from the Metropolitan Policy Program at Brookings Institution shows.
- Bank of Castile CEO to retire; replacement named
James Fulmer, president and CEO of the Bank of Castile for 26 years, will retire at the end of 2014, officials announced this week.
- B&L parent reports Q2 earnings, lowers forecast
Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc. Thursday reported a jump in second-quarter profits but lowered its forecast for 2014 by as much as 70 cents a share.
- Fairport Savings Bank parent sees huge net income jump
The holding company of Fairport Savings Bank reported a nearly 400 percent increase in net income for the second quarter.
- Garlock Sealing sales drop
Second-quarter sales at Garlock Sealing Technologies and its subsidiaries dropped 3 percent due to lower North American demand and decreased intercompany shipments to Eurpean affiliates.
- Graham Corp.'s first-quarter earnings slip
Graham Corp. Thursday reported a drop in fiscal first-quarter profits. The Batavia-based company reported net income of $2.4 million, or 24 cents a diluted share for the quarter, compared with net income of $3.8 million, or 38 cents a diluted share, a year ago.
- Ultralife reports net loss, drop in sales for Q2
Cuts in government and defense spending worldwide had a negative impact on Ultralife Corp.’s second-quarter financial results. The company’s shares dropped nearly 8 percent.
- Chili dessert shop relocates to Park Avenue
Sweet Sammie Jane’s —a dessert boutique based in Chili—has relocated to 701 Park Ave.
- Kodak retirement plan changes will save firm $12M in 2015
Eastman Kodak Co. is altering its retirement and savings and investment plans, a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission shows.
- Manning & Napier reports slip in income in Q2
Manning & Napier Inc.’s reported a drop in economic net income in the second quarter, with earnings per share missing Street estimates by a penny.
- Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials meets in Rochester
The summer conference of the National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials is underway in Rochester, highlighted by a luncheon featuring Mayor Lovely Warren and a black-tie ball on Friday.
- DOT to auction acreage in Pittsford
Five acres adjacent to the Park & Ride lot at Route 31F and Interstate 490 in Pittsford is scheduled for auction next month, officials with the state Department of Transportation announced this week.
- Area income tax preparer suspended by state
Rochester income tax preparer Susan Devuyst is among 40 statewide whose practices have been suspended for failing to file personal income tax returns in 2011 and 2012, officials announced Wednesday.
- Amerks extend contract to practice at Bill Gray's Regional Iceplex
The Rochester Americans have extended their agreement with Bill Gray’s Regional Iceplex as the American Hockey League team’s practice facility, officials announced this week.
Snap Poll: Wegmans is most-admired business|
More than half of respondents to this week’s RBJ Daily Report Snap Poll chose Wegmans, one of the area’s largest companies, as the most admired business in the Rochester region.
WNY native's invention brought chill to Rust Belt|
For Buffalo, the irony is obvious: Air conditioning was invented here, and it was the singular invention that stimulated exponential growth in the Sun Belt.
Second to none|
In importance to the Rochester-area economy, non-profits today are second to none.
More From RBJ
- Andre Reed wasted little time proving his potential for greatness.Check out this week's Seen page. You might recognize someone ... maybe yourself!
- Can the decision to refuse vaccination be truly "personal"?Hattie Bryant hosts Small Business School. Daily videos educate you on small business operations.
- See the best bets for things to do this week in Rochester. Plus, the complete Explore listings.Rick Woodson - 1940-2013. Learn about the life and career of RBJ's longtime, award-winning columnist.
New York State Headlines
This feed is currently not available.
- Russell Simmons, LL Cool J visit youth at NYC jail (7/31/2014 3:26:23 PM)
- Atlantic City hosts free Blake Shelton concert (7/31/2014 3:26:07 PM)
- WTC steel company CEO arrested on fraud charges (7/31/2014 3:21:32 PM)
- Hundreds attend Mass for saint's return to Hawaii (7/31/2014 3:11:18 PM)
- Medical examiner IDs man in Chicago work shooting (7/31/2014 3:06:06 PM)