- Upstate consumer sentiment rebounds in November
Confidence among upstate consumers rebounded in November but continued to trail both statewide and nationwide confidence, a monthly survey by the Siena Research Institute shows.
- Unity Health System nursing home to get $5.8M upgrade
State officials have green-lighted a $5.8 million upgrade to Unity Health System’s Edna Tina Wilson Living Center, Unity officials said.
- UR, Eastman House to offer master's in photographic preservation
The University of Rochester and George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film will offer a joint master's degree in photographic preservation and collections management beginning in fall 2014, the first of its kind in the nation.
- Richards' supporters collected $83,600 before election
The Monroe County chapter of the Independence Party scrambled to collect $83,600 in individual and corporate campaign contributions for Rochester Mayor Thomas Richards after his defeat in the Democratic Party primary, state filings this week show.
- Wolk Foundation gives MCC $375,000 for nursing scholarship
Monroe Community College student nurses will have new support with a $375,000 gift from the Louis S. and Molly B. Wolk Foundation.
- Think tanks recommend income-tax adjustments
An immediate phase-out of the temporary increase in the personal income tax of high-income earners and making permanent the temporary income-tax cuts for the middle class are among five measures that would improve New York’s business climate, two independent think tanks say.
- Wegman to become CEO at Passero, other changes announced
Passero Associates P.C. on Tuesday announced leadership changes, including a new CEO effective Jan. 1. Gary Passero is transitioning from CEO to founding partner. Wayne Wegman will shift from president to CEO. John Caruso has been named president. He previously was vice president.
- RF Communications looks to hire 100 engineers
Harris Corp.’s RF Communications division in Rochester is looking to hire roughly 100 engineers for local positions.
- Bankruptcy filings decline in November
Rochester-area bankruptcy filings took a double-digit percentage decline in November. The month’s 16.3 percent drop brought the decline in new bankruptcy filings through the year’s first 11 months to 7.4 percent.
- Insurance company to refund area college students
More than 900 students at five area colleges are due refunds for health insurance overcharges.
- President resigns from Arista Power
Mark Matthews has resigned as president of Arista Power Inc. for a job with another company, a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission states.
- Mann's Jewelers opens Eastview store
Mann’s Jewelers Inc. is having a grand opening for its second store, in Victor at the Eastview Mall in the renovated Von Maur wing. The store opened Monday and employs 20 people.
- Cemeteries earn certification for eco-friendliness
Holy Sepulchre Cemetery and Ascension Garden received certification from the Green Burial Council, a national organization committed to eco-friendly death care through extensive outreach with Green Burial Certification.
Most opposed to in-flight cellphone calls|
More than 90 percent of respondents to this week's RBJ Daily Report Snap Poll are opposed to allowing in-flight use of cellphones for voice calls.
I can confirm that only some numbers matter|
After an uneventful beginning, the confirmation number has achieved an important rank in the lives of us all.
The Vargas plan|
Those dubious about Bolgen Vargas' new plan to boost student achievement in the Rochester City School District might call it a handoff—or a Hail Mary.
More From RBJ
- Former Amerks hockey star Gates Orlando is thankful for a second shot at life.Hattie Bryant hosts Small Business School. Daily videos educate you on small business operations.
- Check out this week's Seen page. You might recognize someone.Does the ACA's tax on medical devices make any sense?
- See the best bets for things to do this week in Rochester. Plus, the complete Explore listings.Rick Woodson - 1940-2013. Learn about the life and career of RBJ's longtime, award-winning columnist.
New York State Headlines
- Moldovans now officially speak Romanian (12/5/2013 8:10:15 AM)
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos (12/5/2013 8:04:34 AM)
- Officials: Up to 20 whales moved to deeper water (12/5/2013 7:59:05 AM)
- Retail stocks slide on Wall Street on poor results (12/5/2013 7:58:06 AM)
- Bosnian court won't re-arrest war criminals (12/5/2013 7:55:58 AM)